Arrow Fat Left Icon Arrow Fat Right Icon Arrow Right Icon Cart Icon Close Circle Icon Expand Arrows Icon Facebook Icon Instagram Icon Hamburger Icon Information Icon Down Arrow Icon Mail Icon Mini Cart Icon Person Icon Ruler Icon Search Icon Shirt Icon Triangle Icon Bag Icon Play Video
  • The Shift Cowl, Take Two
  • Sumner Smith
  • knittingWIP

The Shift Cowl, Take Two

Remember my not-so-successful first attempt at knitting The Shift Cowl?  Yep, that one died an ignominious death.  Great pattern, great yarn, not great together.  

So,  Black Mountain Yarn Shop opened in their new location (yay!  it's beautiful, and huge, and has allllll of the yarn!)  And that means I could get my hands on a huge selection of Spincycle yarn - which is the yarn the pattern was originally written for, so that seemed like a good place to start.

Indeed, this yarn has the body that the slip stitch pattern wants, and I looked through lots of pics of The Shift on Instagram and found colors that seemed like they would be interesting and harmonious.

I'm about 1/4 of the way through the pattern, and to be honest my yarn choices definitely have the interesting part covered, but I'm still a little on the fence about how harmonious they are.  But, fear not, I'm continuing on. 

I've decided that since the colors do look interesting, and I have no idea how the finished product will appear (since the colors are variegated and it's impossible to tell the combinations that are going to be coming in future sections), the best course of action is to finish with these colors and enjoy it.  I think there's a 90% chance that in the end I'm going to be thrilled with the colors, and a 10% chance I'm going to think they're a little wacky, but either way I'm going to like it.

  • Sumner Smith
  • knittingWIP